No objections to Enbridge Line 3 replacement filed by landowners
Posted on June 27, 2017
The Calgary-based energy company was required to directly serve notice to all affected landowners, as well as publish details in local newspapers, to give residents the chance to file their opposition to the plan.
Concerned landowners had 30 days from when the notice was received to object, though no person in the three Prairie provinces took the opportunity, a spokesperson with the National Energy Board told The Brandon Sun.
Enbridge has since informed the National Energy Board, in a letter dated June 8, they have taken the necessary disclosure steps and are looking for their plan, defined as the Plans, Profile and Books of Reference, to be approved.
In addition to regulatory hurdles still to cross on both sides of the border, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs was granted leave earlier this year to apply for a judicial review of the pipeline’s approval by the federal government.
While Suzanne Wilton, an Enbridge spokesperson, told The Brandon Sun in May she could not speak to the review as it was before the courts, she was "confident in the process that was undertaken to consult with indigenous communities as well as the review that was done."
In southwestern Manitoba, the line runs south of the Trans-Canada Highway. It travels south of Cromer toward Souris and Nesbitt, before sharpening its descent as it heads west of Somerset and Winkler en route to the U.S. border.
» email@example.com, with files from Tyler Clarke
» Twitter: @ianfroese